Monday, January 1, 2007

Our Story So Far...



Some of this I've just done as I go. Right now I'm in Visalia, CA, about an hour out of Sequioa National park. You'll all get photos eventually, but right now I'm just gettin' around to throwing a quick post out. More to come- fer damn sure (sorry, been listening to a lot of country music).
Mmmmmmmm, drivin'....
....................................

Well, it’s now officially the end of day one. I’m parked on Rountop Road just outside of Cheyenne, and I’m not going anywhere until they reopen the interstate. The funny thing is, they’ve closed it now that the wind’s died down and the conditions are far better what I’ve spent the last two hours driving though. Let’s just say that my sphincter’s gonna be able to go Ironman after some of the puckering that I did on the way in here. Near whiteout conditions and following (and passing) semis at 70 mph. I’d really hoped that I’d be able to get past the front before the brunt of it formed, but no such luck. I started catching snow mid-Nebraska (thank God I made it through that Hell-hole), and it really hit just before wyoming. Anyhow, about 850 miles, which is a lot less than I’d hoped, but c’est la vie.

Nebraska was better than usual, however, since the high humidity made this really pretty fog around the lights. Also, the snow was rough. Even the state troopers are ending up in the ditch. Up-side is that means that I don’t have to worry about being pulled over.

So, the Cheyenne rest stop’s where I’ve been for the past five hours, most of it kinda sleeping(you know how it is trying to sleep in a car). There’s no way out of town- everything’s shut down. It’s a lot better than it was a few hours ago, but they’ve still got everything closed. This really sucks because I could be getting some good miles in right now. Since it’s nigh on 6 am back home and normally I’d be about mid shift. Oh well, the truck stop had Superman on the tube, so I was able to catch the last 20 minutes of that. Now it’s time to try to grab a few more hours of sleep in the parking lot and hope this shit clears up.
......................
I woke up in Cheyenne a touch after 8 am to a snowblower nailing my window in the "Loves Road Stop" parking lot. A gentle hint I’m assuming. Now, 13 hours and a thousand miles later, I’m on the border and grabbing the IHOP stuffed french toast that I’ve been craving for, oh, 13 hours and a thousand miles. Not kidding. Saw it on a billboard into Cheyenne last night and got a hankering. Of course, I figured that this could wait until I had to stop for gas, since there’d been IHOPS in every town up to now. As it is, luck put me into it as I stopped for gas and coffee and lo and behold there’s and IHOP tucked behind the gas station.

Notes of the day- I found it nearly impossible to not drive 100 mph through Utah. Not that is sucks that much more than say, Nebraska, but it’s all flat and straight. It just begs you to floor it.

Ah, that tasted as good as I thought it would.

NPR is my hero, since their "Science Friday" flew me through two hours of driving.

My cd player is not meant to be used continuosly for 10+ hours- the discs heat to the point that they smell like they’re on the verge of melting.

I’m listening to someone who’s obviously an RA bitch about resident lock-outs.

Salt Lake basin has a lot of possible campfire ring rock formations and this one giant solar system type partially broken monument.

Tonight I sleep in my car- tommorrow I sleep beneath redwoods.

......................

Well, that brings me through the drive to California. I'll letcha'll know more later, but I wanna hit the road again, and I'm getting tired of everyone who walks by ogling my computer. I put my headphones on just so they would stop bugging me. You'd think that they'd have seen a laptop in California before, even if it's only Visalia. Anywhoo, back to this weird fog/smoke/smog, whatever the hell it is I've been driving through. Next stop Sequioas! Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Ps. If I spoke spanish my radio options would quadruple.
A nice little scene from Wyoming on Friday. Someone's house is on fire. Or maybe a garage or a barn. Bad day for them.
....................................................................................
Utah the flat. It was an excercise in self control to not go 100mph since it's all flat and straight. I settled for 95.

No comments: