Saturday, September 8, 2007

It has begun!

Well, today is the end of week 1 of my diet. Yep, that's right, I- defender of whole milk and champion of the calorie, am on a diet.

It's not that I've necessarily been all that more unsatisfied with my body than before. I'm about 40lbs overweight (possibly more, but that'll get rid of the belly), but it hasn't really impeded my life. However, when I found out that some of my coworkers at the Machine Shed were doing a "Biggest Loser," it was the excuse I needed to start getting rid of it. We all paid in $50, and four months from now whoever lost the most weight wins the pot (a few hundred bucks).

The crap's been cut from my diet, and one of the biggest shocks has been getting used to drinking my coffee black. I've been eating better, though I still need to get some variety in there (a whole lotta grapenuts in skim milk, bananas, and bagels). The biggest change, however, has been getting a gym membership. Because of the holiday weekend, I couldn't get one until Wednesday. I've been good about it so far though, and have noticed two things; 1.) My endurance is better than I'd expected, and 2.) I should've done a few push-ups.

My goal is to lose 40lbs (10lb/month), which even if I don't win will still leave me satisfied. After that weight is off, and the competition over, it'll be time to get some strength back. My membership is 18 months, so that a whole year after the competition. If I can keep my ass motivated, I could put on some good muscle. I'll never look like a Spartan warrior, but I'll be damned close to carousing viking!

No comments: