Sunday, March 18, 2007

Home Team Pride(?)

Being that yesterday was the venerable celebration of potent potables, ye ole St. Patrick's Day, I wore green. While I had many items to choose from, it ended up coming down to a choice between my Minnesota Wild jersey and my Brett Favre jersey. Both had equal proportions of green, but I decided on the Favre jersey for the simple fact that hockey jerseys get hot in a hurry.

The early part of my day (300 at the IMAX, some disc golf, and some hangin' with some people I hadn't seen in a while) went without comment. Come night, however, I met up with some people to check out the live music at the Dubliner. Most everyone is wearing green, but a Packer jersey in Minnesota still stands out. Surrounded by completely schnockered people, I'd really expected that my "traitorous" behavior would have elicited some commentary.

Nothing. Well, at least nothing negative. It seemed every five minutes someone was stopping me and giving me a high 5 or some other form of drunken approval (one guy was so gone all he could do was nod, smile, and point to the Brewers hoodie he was wearing). Granted, one of the chicks I was there with gave me guff (doesn't count when you bring the dissent) and some guys scowled at me as they went by, but that was it. Granted, I obviosly prefer the Packers, but it's almost dissappointing when you don't get chided when wearing enemy colors and instead find support.

This just continues a trend that I've noticed lately. We are the home of the Vikings, and yet you see very little Viking paraphanalia around (especially on vehicles). You do, however, find Packer gear everywhere! Now, don't misunderstand me- I'm glad to see so many people acknowledging the quality of the Packer culture and the epic status of Brett Favre. But it's still somewhat sad when the home team finds less support than their border rival.

No comments: